“Henan Provincial Government Scholarship for Foreign Students (referred to as “Scholarship”) is a local scholarship provided by the Henan Provincial Government to some provincial universities. It is used by some provincial universities to directly select and recruit outstanding foreign students and scholars to study degree programs and Non-degree programs. To manage the scholarships, Henan University has formulated these procedures.
I. Admissions Category
Scholarship is used to recruit foreign students and scholars who apply for degree and non-degree programs. Among them, academic students are divided into undergraduate students, graduate students (including master’s degree students and doctoral students), non-degree students are divided into one semester Chinese students and one year Chinese students. Scholarship is only used for new students and is not available to students who have already studied in China.
II. Admissions Majors
Henan University has the right to grant doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees and majors, and to recruit and train foreign students and scholars. The language of instruction is general Chinese, and some subjects and majors can be taught in English. For details, please visit the International Student Online Service System of Henan University: http://applyonline.henu.edu.cn.
III. Scholarship Funding Standards
1. Ph.D. students: 40,000RMB per student per academic year, 4 years of funding;
2. Master’s degree students: 30,000RMB per student per academic year, the funding period is generally no more than 3 academic years;
3. Undergraduate students: 15,000RMB per student per academic year, 4 years of funding (5 years for individual majors such as medicine);
4. One year Chinese language students: 10,000RMB per person;
5. One semester Chinese language students: 5,000RMB per person.
IV. Funding Content
According to the actual situation of Henan University, the scholarship can be used to subsidize one or several items of the registration fee, tuition fee, accommodation fee and living expenses. The insufficient part is paid by the scholarship students and must be paid in full in one time for the whole year expense, otherwise the scholarship qualification will be automatically canceled.
V. Application Conditions
1. Non-Chinese citizens, be in good health and have no criminal record;
2. Comply with Chinese laws and regulations and abide by the rules and regulations of the school;
3. Correct attitude of learning and the excellent academic performance;
4. Applicant’s academic qualifications and age requirements:
a. Applicants for undergraduate programs must have a high school certificate or above or the same educational level, and the age is generally no more than 30 years old;
b. Applicants for postgraduate programs must have a bachelor’s degree or above , and the age is generally no more than 40 years old;
c. Applicants for Ph.D. programs must have master’s degree or above, and the age is generally no more than 45 years old;
d. Applicants for Chinese language program must have a high school certificate or above or the same educational level, and the age is generally no more than 55 years old;
5. Applicant’s language ability requirements:
English language proficiency requirements:
a. Native language is English
b. Applicants whose native language is not English:
Undergraduates must achieve an IELTS score of 6 or a new TOEFL score of 86.
Master’s and doctoral students must reach IELTS 6.5 or new TOEFL score of 86.
Chinese language proficiency requirements:
Undergraduates must pass the new HSK4 and HSKK intermediate or above.
Master’s students must pass the new HSK4 and HSKK intermediate or above.
PhD students must pass the new HSK5 and HSKK intermediate or above.
c. For Chinese language training programs, applicants do not need to have a Chinese foundation.
6. Applicants who have received Chinese Government Scholarships, Confucius Institute Scholarships, Foreign Government Scholarships, Foreign Enterprise Scholarships, Chinese Enterprise Scholarships, Chinese University Scholarships for Foreign Students or any other scholarship cannot apply for this scholarship.
VI. Application Materials
Applicants must truthfully fill out and submit the following application materials:
1. “Application Form for Henan Provincial Government Scholarship for Foreign Students”, filled in Chinese or English;
2. Scanned piece of passport photo page;
3. The original or the notarized copy of the highest academic qualification (if the applicant is a student at school or has been employed, he or she must provide proof of attendance or employment certificate issued by the school or unit where the applicant is employed).
4. Undergraduate applicants must submit the high school transcript, and graduate students must submit the undergraduate transcript (college graduate must provide college graduation transcript and certificate of more than two years’ working experience), and doctoral applications must submit master’s transcript.
5. Undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral candidates must submit the corresponding 400, 600, and 800 words or above Chinese or English study plans.
6. Applicants for postgraduate and doctoral candidates must submit letters of recommendation from two professors or associate professors, written in Chinese or English.
7. Students applying for art majors are required to submit a CD of their work. Students applying for music studies are required to submit a CD or USB flash drive of their music. Students applying for the Fine Arts program are required to submit a CD of their work, which includes two sketches and two color paintings.
8. Applicants under the age of 18 are required to submit a power of attorney in China certified by a Chinese embassy or consulate abroad or relevant legal documents of a legal guardian in China.
9. The original Foreigner’s Physical Examination Record Form and the original blood test report or a notarized copy.
10. The original or a notarized copy of the criminal record.
11. A copy of the English or Chinese language proficiency certificate. Undergraduate and postgraduate students (in Chinese) must pass the new HSK4 and HSKK intermediate or above, and the Ph.D. students (in Chinese) must pass the new HSK5 and HSKK intermediate or above. Undergraduate and postgraduate students (in English) must have an IELTS score of 6 or a new TOEFL score of 86, and a Ph.D. student (in English) must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or a new TOEFL score of 86.
Note: Degree certificates that are in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by a notarized Chinese or English translation.
Please put all the application materials in the above order in the upper left corner into a book (two volumes) and send them to Henan University. Application materials will not be returned regardless of admission.
VII. Application Time
The deadline of application for scholarships in Henan University is April 30th.
VIII. Application Method
1. Log in to the “Henan University International Student Online Application” website (http://applyonline.henu.edu.cn), apply online and upload relevant electronic scanned copy information, confirm and submit.
2. Submit the application materials to the university within the specified time.
IX. Admission Notice
Henan University will review the scholarship application materials, determine the scholarship admission list, and inform the applicants of the admission results around July 10. The admission notice and visa application form will be sent to the scholarship student by international express.
X. Visa Application
Scholarship students should take their ordinary passport, “Admission Notice”, “Visa Application Form for Study in China”, “Foreign Physical Examination Record Form” and blood test report form to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their country. Those who come to China with other types of passports and visas are deemed to have automatically waived their scholarship qualifications and will not be registered.
Scholarship students should register with their ordinary passport, “Admission Notice” and “Visa Application Form for Study in China” within the time limited by Henan University. Those who cannot register on time due to any reason should ask for leave in written form with relevant supporting documents. The leave time is no more than two weeks in principle. Those who fail to ask for leave or ask for leave longer than the prescribed period shall be deemed to have given up the qualification of admission and scholarship automatically. The expenses incurred in coming to the school in advance are self-support.
XII. Health Examination and Residence Registration
1. Accommodation registration: Scholarship freshmen must fill in the temporary accommodation registration form within 24 hours after arriving at Henan University with the assistance of the staff, and the school will report to the police station in the district.
2. Health Examination: Scholarship freshmen must go to the local health and quarantine department for health examination within 7 days after arriving at Henan University. Those who refuse to be examined or who have been found to have an illness that is not permitted by Chinese law will be asked to leave China within a limited time, and the scholarship qualification will be automatically canceled.
3. Residence Permit: Scholarship students who enter China with X1 visa must go through the health examination and go to the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Kaifeng City Public Security Bureau to apply for a residence permit within 30 days from the date of entry.
XIII. Major Change, Transfer and Extension
Scholarship students cannot change the major, transfer or extend the study period in principle after arriving China. If there are special circumstances that require to change the major, transfer or extend the study period, the application must be submitted by Henan University to the Henan Provincial Department of Education. After approval, it can be executed.
XIV. Scholarship Annual Review
In order to give full play to the incentive role of scholarships, Henan University will conduct an annual review of scholarship students with a study period of more than one academic year based on the “Annual Evaluation Method for Government Scholarships for Foreign Students in Henan Province”, and decide whether to continue funding.
XV. Contact Information
Contact: Han Rencheng
Contact number: 0371-22868169
Zip code: 475001
Address: 85#, Minglun Street, Kaifeng City, Henan Province